The department is responsible, among other functions, for the provision of infrastructure to residents and other basic services affecting our communities on a daily basis.
The core functions of the department are as follows:
- Roads, Storm Water and Traffic Engineering Services.
- Parks, Gardens and Environment Services
- Waste Management Services
- Vehicles Plant and Equipment Services
- Contracts and Projects Services
- Electricity Services
- Low Income Housing delivery, EIA’s (Environmental Impact Assessments), Planning Approvals and Implementation of Infrastructure and Top structures to Low Income Housing Projects.
Challenges faced by the department
- Ageing infrastructure
- The lack of availability of adequate resources to maintain existing infrastructure assets.
- The available capacity of bulk services in support of development.
Achievements since 2001:
- Total Low Income Houses with access to all basic services 6400units
- Total 0f 35km’s of surfaced roads constructed.
- All urban areas have access to water, sanitation, electricity. road and refuse collection.
- Greenest town awards
- Vuna Awards
- Govan Mbeki award for housing innovation.
- Job creation programmes as in formed by the Expanded Public Works Programme are applied to all Infrastructure Projects.