The Financial Services Department is responsible for the overall management of the financial affairs of the uMngeni Local Municipality and its mandate are amongst others to achieve the following;
- Strategic rendering of financial management services to municipal departments, divisions and units.
- The preparation of annual municipal budget, medium-term budget adjustments and implementing and maintaining a system that generates accurate information about the municipality's financial position, financial performance and cash flows. This information is generated for use and enabling stakeholders to make sound and informed financial decisions.
- Manages the financial affairs of the uMngeni Local Municipality to ensure that the best possible services are attained in a cost effective manner.
- Ensure full compliance and implementation of MFMA, Act no. 56 of 2003, DORA and other financial management prescripts per National Treasury Regulations.
The department is broken down into the following components/sections in order to fulfil its obligations to its internal structures and communities, other spheres of Government and organs of State as per relevant legislation:
- Budget and Treasury Office
- Expenditure Management
- Revenue & Credit Control Management
- Supply Chain Management